Sunday, July 6, 2014

Day #97: A Family Legacy

Family.  In the end, it is all that matters.  Once our screaming little bundle of joy was placed in my arms, I realized nothing would ever be the same again.  As I gazed into the eyes of my child, my heart swelled and it became clear I would do anything for him.  When I walked into our home for the first time as a family, it seemed as if life had always been this way.  I wondered how it would be possible for my love to grow, but it did.  In the blink of an eye it became the three of us.  The four.  The five of us.  The six.  Many years from now, this number will likely begin to increase.  Even further down the road, it will increase again.

When you join in marriage with your spouse it is hard to fathom what will become of this union years down the road.  At the time, you can only imagine life as just the two of you.  Only with time, can you see what a tremendous, life-changing impact your union will have.  

Today we spent time at my husband's family farm celebrating the 95th birthday of his grandmother.  Gathered in a room were her children, their children, and their children's children all singing a loud rendition of "Happy Birthday."  In the room were doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, and salesmen.  Moms who stay home with their babies, a soon-to-be mom, and adorable children with big dreams.  A room filled with smiles, laughter, and love.  A family.

As I watched, I couldn't help but think to myself how awesome it will be, if I am so lucky to reach an old age, to sit in a room with the generations of my family singing.  I would imagine it may be a bit overwhelming to look around at the large crowd gathered together and realize the impact we have had on this world because of our choice to marry and have children.  It is truly quite amazing this all came to be from a union so many years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment