Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day #109: The Only Voices that Matter

For the past few months my husband and I have been spending a lot of time researching, discussing, and praying about our choice for our children's education this fall.  This is certainly not a decision we are taking lightly and with under a month before school begins, we still have not committed to a decision...but we're close.

This morning when I woke this thought entered my mind:  the only voice that matters are those in our family.  Our immediate family.  The six of us.  I felt like my prayers had been answered in a roundabout way.  One of my greatest hesitations when deciding whether to homeschool has been fear of what others may say.  In fact, we have yet to share this with our extended family at all in an effort to independently make the decision that works for us without input from others.

Ultimately, the driving force behind our decision should be what we, as our children's parents, feel is the best educational opportunity for them.  I know it will be hard to tune out the questions and criticism coming from those who may disagree with our choice, but if this is the route we choose to take, I will have to learn to let this roll off my shoulders.  Homeschooling is an outside-of-the-box idea, but for our family it may be what coincides the best with our beliefs and desires for our children.

One of my favorite sayings is "To each his own."  It is time for us to put aside all of the outside noise and do what is best for our own.  The dear children that call us Mom and Dad.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment