Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day #107: Lessons in Responsibility

"This job is so boring!"  "I don't want to do this anymore!"  "This isn't fun!"

I heard all of these statements and more today when my older two were asked to complete their chores.  The jobs aren't difficult:  sorting laundry for the oldest and folding napkins and washcloths for my daughter.  Our goal is to help them learn to be responsible and helpful members of the family by giving them chores they can handle.  They even get paid to do them!

Unfortunately, most days I am met with great resistance.  They whine, they complain, they stall, but they are still required to complete their chores.  We want our children to have responsibilities.  I want them to understand the work behind the scenes and to be proud they have contributed to making our home run more smoothly.

Life's little lessons add up to be the big ones.  We'll just keep plugging away and as time goes on, more chores will be added.  I'm sure they won't be jumping with joy, but someday they'll appreciate the work ethic we've tried to instill in them.  Until then, we'll just keep on keeping on.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment