Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day #62: The Power of Words

The other day I read a post from one of my new favorite blogs, The Hands Free Revolution.  It was a very real, touching piece about breaking a child's spirit.  It made me cry and I immediately forwarded the link to my husband.  We all do our best to be great parents, but in those moments of stress, chaos, exhaustion, and grumpiness we can sometimes be ugly.  I could see some of us in her examples and it made me sad.  We walk such a tight rope between teaching our children and breaking their spirit with our criticism, correction, and tone.  We'll never be perfect parents, but we can do our best to me mindful of our words and actions.  I certainly don't want my children to grow up feeling like they aren't enough.  It was certainly a wake-up call to be mindful of how powerful our words truly are.

If you haven't read the piece, here it is:  http://www.handsfreemama.com/2014/05/20/to-build-or-break-a-childs-spirit/



No comments:

Post a Comment