Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day #49: Setting a Realistic Goal

Lately I have been bothered by the mess.  There is a difference between the everyday messiness that comes with having four young children and a mess made by us simply not putting things away and decluttering.  While I would love to tackle my whole house in one week, I understand it is completely unrealistic at this point and time in our lives.

Today I decided to be realistic and set a goal I could achieve.  I decided to tackle my kitchen and as I sit here at the end of the day I am thrilled I accomplished my goal.  It may seem like no big deal, but so often I am disappointed that I did not finish what I set out to achieve.  I believe it is fair to say I typically set my expectations way too high and then beat myself up because I feel like I've failed.  It sounds so silly, especially when I'm referring to keeping up my house, but it's true.

Perhaps this is part of the lesson of slowing down.  Realizing you can't do it all is half the battle. Being content with what I did accomplish and not beating myself up about what I didn't achieve on any given day is another piece of the puzzle.  Today I am perfectly content and what a great feeling it is!



        

   

No comments:

Post a Comment