Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Day #40: Mind Over Matter

For months I have been trying to carve out time for exercise.  To get into a routine and feel healthy again.  Unfortunately, I get in a good workout and then wait about another week before I attempt another.  Last spring, once I got the "all-clear" from the doctor, I started the From Couch to 5K program.  This was a big challenge for me, as I simply am not a runner.  A mile has always been a challenge.  My mind is just not my friend when it comes to hitting the pavement.  I surprised myself, though, and I finished it.

Today I had the opportunity to go the gym alone.  No worrying about how the kiddos are doing. Just me, my music, and the track.  My initial goal was a mile.  I have run very little since completing my 5K last summer (which actually turned out to be 4 miles, who knew?!), so I thought it would be a reasonable challenge.  I hit the track, turned on my workout playlist, and began to run; slowly, but running.

I hit the mile mark and thought, "Hey, I feel pretty good!  I should keep going!"  For once my mind didn't stop me.  I ended up running for 30 minutes.  At my pace, that's about 2 1/2 miles.  Wow!  I was proud of that accomplishment.  Lesson learned.  I can do it, if only I don't let my mind trick me into thinking otherwise.  I left feeling energized and accomplished.  Here's to hoping it's not another week before I am able to so again!




No comments:

Post a Comment