Sunday, April 27, 2014

Day #38: Life in the Slow Lane

Lately I've attempted to live life in the slow lane:  literally.  We often have the option to hop on the interstate to get to our destination or to take the "scenic route" as well called it growing up. This past month I've opted for the scenic route when we drive to preschool and most of our errands.  It's been fun to take in the scenery and not feel the need to put the pedal to the metal.

Yesterday I took a drive with my youngest son in a successful effort to get him to nap.  We were at my parents' house, my childhood home, and hit the two lane, farm country road.  I've traveled those roads many times, but this time it was different.  I found myself gazing around the country and memories of my childhood came to me as I passed by houses (some still standing and some now demolished) where I spent time growing up.  It's hard to believe some of those memories are nearly 30 years old.

Life continues to go on at an increasingly fast pace.  It is so easy to get caught up in the rush, but pulling over into the slow lane is good for the mind and the soul.  My drive yesterday was so peaceful and full of memories.  Memories I may have not recalled if I had not taken the time to simply slow down.


No comments:

Post a Comment